The White House
Office of the Press Secretary
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
June 20, 2019
** PRESIDENT DONALD J. TRUMP IS STRENGTHENING OUR VITAL ECONOMIC TIES AND CLOSE ALLIANCE WITH CANADA
“America is deeply fortunate to have a neighbor like Canada. We have before us the opportunity to build even more bridges, and bridges of cooperation and bridges of commerce.” – President Donald J. Trump
CLOSE FRIENDS AND ALLIES: The United States and Canada are enduring allies bound by history, shared values, and an unparalleled partnership.
* Today, President Trump is meeting with Prime Minister Trudeau of Canada to build upon the deep partnership and cooperation between our two nations.
* The United States and Canada share the longest international border in the world, maintaining a vital flow of goods, services, and people between our two countries.
* The United States and Canada have deep economic ties and a vital trading relationship that will only grow stronger under the new United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA).
* Canada is a critical partner in advancing democracy, security, and prosperity in the Western Hemisphere and across the globe.
STRENGTHENING VITAL ECONOMIC TIES: The United States and Canada are expanding our strong economic ties and promoting prosperity in both our countries through USMCA.
* The United States and Canada enjoy the world’s largest and most comprehensive trade and investment relationship, supporting millions of jobs in our two countries.
+ United States goods and services trade with Canada totaled more than $700 billion in 2018.
+ Canada was the United States’ largest goods export market in 2018 and the largest foreign trading partner for 33 states.
+ The United States and Canada had more than $844 billion invested in one another’s economies as of 2017.
* Our two countries’ deep economic ties will only become stronger under the new USMCA, which will be the largest trade agreement in history.
+ USMCA contains the strongest and most comprehensive labor and environmental chapters of any trade agreement ever negotiated.
+ The agreement is a huge win for American auto workers, as it will generate $34 billion in new investments and 76,000 new jobs in the auto industry across the United States.
+ The agreement will incentivize the use of high-wage labor in auto manufacturing.
+ Thanks to USMCA, American farmers and ranchers will have access to an expanded, fairer market to export their goods.
STANDING TOGETHER FOR DEMOCRACY AND SECURITY: The United States and Canada are key allies in supporting security, democracy, and the rule of law.
* Canada is a critical partner in advancing security and democracy throughout the world and our troops have fought side by side on numerous occasions.
* Our defense arrangements with Canada are more extensive than with any other country.
+ Our two nations uphold and defend security through the North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) and the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO).
* Together, we are working to defend human rights in the Western Hemisphere by standing up to the corrupt regimes in Venezuela, Nicaragua, and Cuba.
* The United States and Canada are working together to achieve the denuclearization of North Korea.